← All daily briefings
Daily Briefing · Tuesday, August 18, 2026

UAE Accuses Iran of Ballistic Missile Launches, Suspends All Trade With Tehran

The UAE says its air defenses detected two Iranian ballistic missiles targeting maritime traffic, one landing in its territorial waters — the first such incident in months — and has suspended all trade and financial dealings with Iran in response. Iran denies it fired anything. Separately, Trump said he won't try to revive the lapsed Iran ceasefire and that no talks are scheduled, even as he continues to insist the US has ‘total control’ of Hormuz. Ukraine's General Staff reports Russian losses at 1,469,970 (+1,210) as of Aug 18. Oil prices have risen for a third straight session.

⚠️ 72-hour watch: Whether the UAE-Iran trade suspension escalates further or is quietly walked back once tensions cool; whether the UAE incident draws in other Gulf states or prompts a coordinated regional response; and whether Trump's flat refusal to revive talks hardens into a genuinely closed diplomatic door or is reversed as prior hard-line statements have been.

Full briefing

The most significant new development is a fourth country now directly involved: the UAE's Ministry of Defense said air defenses detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward its territory, the first such detection in months, with one missile falling in UAE territorial waters and the second outside them. No casualties or land impact were reported, but the UAE responded immediately by halting all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran ‘until further notice.’ Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei rejected the accusation as ‘baseless’ and accused the UAE of behavior that undermines regional trust — an unusually sharp exchange between two states that have generally stayed out of direct confrontation with each other during this war. On the US-Iran track itself, Trump said explicitly that he won't try to revive the lapsed ceasefire/MoU and that no talks with Iran are currently scheduled, contradicting the more optimistic framing from some of his own officials earlier in the week. He continues to insist Hormuz is ‘open and operating’ under total US control with all mines cleared, even as MarineTraffic data shows only a handful of vessels transiting daily versus a pre-war baseline of roughly 110. On Ukraine, the General Staff's Aug 18 report puts cumulative Russian losses at 1,469,970 personnel (+1,210 in the past 24 hours) — a lower daily figure than the Aug 17 report's +1,440. Brent crude has risen for a third consecutive session as markets price in the UAE incident and the stalled diplomacy together.

UkraineIranStrait of Hormuz

Live figures, maps and timelines for these theaters are on the main conflict dashboard.

Unclassified · OSINT · Not an independent intelligence product